2015 License

Montana’s nonresident licensing system changed in 2011. The outfitter sponsored or “guaranteed license” is no longer available. Nonresident elk and deer licenses have been sold by computerized drawing for the past four seasons and will be again in 2015.

The good news is the 17,000 elk/deer combo pool of licenses did not sell out with the March 15th submission any of the last four years and there is no reason to believe it will in 2015. If you apply for the big game combo before March 15th you will get a license.  If the license sale follows the past four years trends the Big Game Combination license will be available online from May 1st all the way through the fall hunting season.
When the 2014 season was over there were 175 Big Game Combo and 1388 Elk Combination Licenses unsold. The Deer Combo was sold out.

There are 17,000 nonresident elk & deer combo licenses available. This license is called the Big Game Combination License and is priced at $996. It includes Elk, Deer, Upland Bird and Fishing.

If you choose to purchase an elk license without the deer tag it will come from the same pool of 17,000 licenses. The stand alone elk license is called the Elk Combination License because it includes Elk, Upland Bird and Fishing. It is priced at $846.

There are 4,600 nonresident deer tags available from a separate pool of licenses. The stand alone deer license is priced at $592. and is called the Deer Combination License  because it includes Deer, Upland Bird and Fishing.
The nonresident deer license may sell out. There are only 4,600 tags available and the $596. price tag is not high enough to put off demand.

Applications for these licenses must be post marked on or before March 15th to insure you are in the spring drawing.
Fish, Wildlife & Parks Special Licensing Department’s phone number is (406) 444-2950.

Online application can be made at FWP’s website:  http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/
The drawing will take place in early April and licenses will be mailed to you by the first of May.

Please note: The Deer and Elk licenses issued as part of a General Combination License are valid throughout the state. However, some areas of the state have restrictions and limitations. Applicants intending to hunt in a limited district must submit an application for a special permit. The districts we hunt in southwest Montana are not limited districts. You do not need to apply for a special permit, just the General Combination License of your choice, whether it be Elk & Deer, Elk only or Deer only.

We would recommend you apply for the Big Game Combination License (Elk & Deer) for all of our hunts.